Tuesday, March 26, 2013

week 10: louder than bombs

This week's storytime began with an extended waiting period as half of the kids (along with me) arrived at the library early. We spent ten minutes or so saying hi to one another, doing fingerplays, and singing songs: Where Is Thumbkin? (which I hadn't done in a looooong time, for whatever reason) and Wheels on the Bus. I drew WOTB out as long as I could, Old MacDonald-izing it and having cows, ducks, sheep, lions, etc., all ride the bus. Lions, always lions; they rooooooooaaaaaar!, right? Right. So basically Seals on the Bus without the book. Hooray!


We hit the ground running with the The Three Little Pigs. And when I say "hit the ground running," I mean "read the book I figured was most likely to not do as well first" just to see. And, with some half-skillful abridgment it went fine. I think the kids relate to the real-deal feel of Galdone's fairytales, but that of course could be my own prejudices sneaking in a bit. I have been reading a lot of fairytales with older kids for class visits, so I have fairy tales on the brain. Next up (fairy tale-wise) is my one-man Three Billy Goats Gruff puppet show. I am still a little shaky on the staging specifics but I will work it out. One more run-through with the book before that, though.

Click, Clack, Moo : Cows That Type was OK, I guess. Could have been better, could have been worse. Does that sound like I'm being evasive? I'm not, I swear. It was just... well, it was fine. The kids didn't seem to think it was that crazy to have typing cows, so there you go. I think the whole typewriter thing went right over their heads. We switched Icky-Sticky Bubblegum for There Was a Little Turtle, which was more fun for sure. Little Turtle next week.

Press Here was our final book, and like I said earlier, it was something of a calculated risk. They love it, but they go bonkers for it. Now that we're in the library, "bonkers" can be something of a problem. We started reading it with predictable results. Miss Amy came over and helped us with keeping our voices down, which we need to do in the library. In the end it worked, more or less. But we need some new strategies for expressing joyous preschool enthusiasm in a more library-friendly way; do you have any tips for channeling loud preschool enthusiasm during storytime into library-friendly expressions? If you do, let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment