Tuesday, October 16, 2012

week 3.5: the road warrior

As a preliminary matter, I apologize (I guess) for falling behind on blogging duties. Work and school and A's playoffs games and other stuff besides got things hecka busy last week. But let's get back to the matter at hand.

So, yeah. That storytime went fast. Firstly, it was on short notice. Secondly, I had to bail directly afterward for my internship over at the Main so there was no real time for any warm up or cool down of which to speak. That being said, Wednesday was a really good storytime. I want to say great, but I am try to cool my jets with superlatives. Or least be slightly more economical. Anyway, I had never met the kids before, so I had no concrete expectations. I knew they were gonna be preschoolers and we were going to have storytime and that was about it.

I'll just hit on the high points, especially since I have more stuff to write tonight. OK, so Jan Thomas' Let's Sing a Lullaby With the Brave Cowboy was amazing!



I know I mentioned before that it had been an impulse pick-up, so let me say this storytime really validated my instincts. I mean, it's tough to go wrong with Jan Thomas but still. You have the opportunity to sing a lot of the book, and I really went for it with some extra-thick Texas twang. The kids totally dug it! So great! The story itself worked really well, and got laughs in all the right places. Highly recommended! I am using so many exclamation points!!!

Next item of note would be "If You're Wearing Red Today," I guess. Turns out probably a quarter of the kids were not really fluent in English, so this particular activity song fell a little flat. But that's going to happen when you're doing storytime in a place you've never been/with a group you've never work with before.

Finally, we did Go Away, Big Green Monster! as our last book; I like to read it with new groups as a fun option. I have to say, they seemed relatively lukewarm to its charms. It could be that my usual Head Start kids are particularly fond of it, or maybe the library environment wasn't working for them. Whatever it was, it seems to fall a little flat. Oh well. As I will discuss elsewhere, plenty of kids in Oakland still hecka love that Big Green Monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment