Wednesday, December 19, 2012

week 13: forget-me-not

So. I have meant to write about last week's storytime for a few days now (since Thursday, really) but keep forgetting. OK, not forgetting. Being too busy. So much is going on! But that doesn't abrogate blogging responsibilities, so let's get to it.

food,households,peppers,Photographs,salt and pepper,salts,seasonings,shakers

I forgot stuff this week. Shakers, specifically. Which meant I had to cut the new shaker song ("This Is the Way We Shake Our Shakers") and improvise a new ending for both storytimes. The first storytime was really sort of flabbergasting; I just totally blanked, and when it came to my closing with the shakers, I looked to my left and they were just not there. I totally expected them to be. A reflection of the way one gets preoccupied during the holidays? Very likely. Or... maybe I need an assistant. Either way.

This entry will, in any event, be relatively short. Much to do and little time in which to do it. Storytime tomorrow, even! Yay!

First thing, and it's a bummer. Me...Jane did not work particularly well. I think it might be a case of "great in theory, not so much in practice." Keeping in mind I am doing a Head Start storytime with an energetic group of kids, I think it might fall into the "just too quiet" end of the spectrum. Also, I wonder if there is a relatability issue at play. I know about Jane Goodall and the story consequently has a real impact on me. When the kids have no idea who she is, it's a harder sell. Or there are fewer places for them to get a narrative foothold, so to speak. Pretty much the same for Class 1 and 2 and Class 3 and 4.

Everyone continues to love "Baby Shark," and this past Friday I was able to thank the amazing San Francisco Public Library children's librarian Jim Jeske know (a) that I have borrowed it from him and (b) how well it works. That was great.

So. Last storytime of 2012 tomorrow. Will it be holiday-themed? Tune in tomorrow to find out. (It will not). OK, tune in tomorrow to find out why. (If you want).

No comments:

Post a Comment